NORM Waste Facilities
ARPS has been appointed as the RPA / RWA for waste facilities dealing with Naturally Occurring Radioactive Material (NORM) for many years both in the UK and overseas. This experience allows ARPS to provide the best service available to NORM waste facilities to ensure compliance with the relevant legislation.
The full radiation protection package for NORM waste facilities can include;
- Day-to-day advice on radiation protection and radioactive waste management
- Preparation and review of radiation management procedures and radiological risk assessments
- Preparation and review of Environmental Safety Cases
- Preparation of environmental permit applications to the various UK environment agencies (SEPA / EA) including environmental impact assessments and Best Available Techniques (BAT) / Best Practicable Means (BPM) statements
- Training of personnel both on site and at our premises in Westhill
- Onsite support and compliance audits (see below)
- Recall and calibration of dose rate and contamination monitors
- Provision and management of personal dosimetry
- General support for special projects and other radiation-related issues
- Representation in discussions with the local regulator (e.g. SEPA or EA) on radiation-related matters
The radiation compliance audits carried out by ARPS at NORM waste sites provide a detailed assessment of the performance of the sites in terms of legislative and regulatory compliance, compliance with company procedures and best practice.